Outlined below are all the parts we recommend for a full liver cleanse including herbs, foods, and further steps.
Herbs Specific for the Liver
One of the key products in any liver cleanse program is a combination of specially selected herbs that encourage your body to heal damaged liver cells, strengthen your liver’s ability to provide vital functions and stimulate flushing of wastes from your liver and gallbladder.
Milk Thistle seed, Dandelion root, Burdock root, Gentian root, Parsley root are some of the traditional herbs proven to enhance liver function. Different properties are extracted from herbs depending on if they are concentrated in alcohol, or in water infusions. We recommend using both in formulas that are alcohol extracted and made into a hot herbal tea thereby getting the full spectrum of benefits.
Our Liver Cleanse Concentrate comes in liquid tincture form and is taken throughout the day while cleansing your liver to target areas that need support for healthier liver function. We recommend putting the concentrate in the Liver Cleanse Tea to get the full effect from the herbs. The herbs in this tea stimulate, cleanse and protect your liver and gallbladder while making an unfriendly environment for any parasites that might be living in those systems. Plus, this tea smells and tastes great, and can be used as a wonderful coffee or black tea replacement!
Best Foods for Your Liver
There are certain foods with a well-earned reputation for supporting and cleansing the liver. Adding any of these to your daily diet will provide extra nutritional support for this cleansing program.
- Lemons Fresh lemon juice is the best food for helping your liver make more enzymes. The fresh juice has a chemical structure very similar to many of the body’s own digestive enzymes so it is great in providing raw materials for the creation of liver enzymes. As an antioxidant, lemon juice can work on and stabilize free radicals that are released into the bloodstream during digestion. An antiseptic, it also helps neutralize harmful bacteria. Fresh lemon juice squeezed into water is easy to take and is the top daily diet addition for cleansing and stimulating the liver.
- Beets and beet tops are excellent for toning and rebuilding the liver. Beets are the richest food source of betaine a natural liver detoxifier and bile thinner. They also increase the liver’s efficiency in processing fats. Beets are good sources of easily assimilable iron, B vitamins, and antioxidants. Shredded raw beets combined with a little lemon juice daily make a fantastic liver support dish. Beets can be boiled, roasted, grated raw or steamed in salad, or juiced with other vegetables.
- Turmeric is spice strong in antioxidant lwhcih protects the liver and aids in liver regeneration. Use it in sauces, dips, stir fry, on vegetables and in stews and soups. A traditional Indian flavor.
- Garlic activates liver enzymes responsible for absorbing nutrients and cleansing waste and toxins in liver tissue. The selenium and allicin in garlic are vital for correct liver functioning. Garlic also contains the amino acid methionine that aids the liver by cleansing pollutants through the urine.
- Leafy Green Vegetables like chard, kale and collards, and Broccoli, Cabbage and Brussel sprouts are high in anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals and other phytochemicals that the liver needs to produce enzymes for the detoxification process.
- Avocados supply the liver with the antioxidant glutathione which it uses in detoxification and for repair of its own liver tissue.
- Artichoke stimulates bile and contains antioxidants which help protect the liver.
- Apples Gallstones can form from too much cholesterol in your bile which causes it to solidifiy. The pectin in apples is high in soluable fiber which binds with fats and cholesterol. Pectin also helps bind heavy metals thus lightening the load on the liver for their detoxification.
As part of the 10 Day Complete Liver Cleanse Program , we provide you with a recipe for a simple to make Liver Flush Drink that is consumed each morning for 5 days. The citrus juices in the Liver Flush drink provides your body with electrolytes, flush out mucus, are diuretic, alkalize the blood and help dissolve gallstones. It also contains garlic olive oil and ginger. A traditional home remedy for removing fat-soluble toxins such as pesticide residues from the body. The liver flush has also a reputation for expeling gallstones.
Keep in mind you are trying to clean your body of toxins and wastes so it doesn’t make sense to consume heavy unhealthy foods and drinks while cleansing. We advise eating light, raw fruits and vegetables, especially those above, the first and last day of cleansing with fresh juice and tea during the middle 3-5 days. Just by consuming all the liquid we recommend with the program including the tea, potassium broth and fresh juices, you will literally flush the liver out.
The more you lighten your diet and replace heavy processed foods with fresh whole foods the more benefits you’ll feel. Increased energy, better sleep, and a clearer head are all effects of a healthier liver.
Chemicals in certain foods and medications can affect the liver’s ability to detox, slowing down the process. For example, grapefruit juice is metabolized by the same enzyme in the liver that breaks down many drugs, so it can keep the liver busy, blocking the breakdown of the drugs. These then can remain in the blood at unhealthy levels, so many older people on medications are instructed to avoid grapefruit. Lemon juice, on the other hand, helps to produce liver enzymes, aiding detoxification.