North Korea will continue to test missiles, a senior official has told the BBC in Pyongyang, despite international condemnation and growing military tensions with the US.“We’ll be conducting more missile tests on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis,” Vice-Foreign Minister Han Song-ryol told the BBC’s John Sudworth. He said that an “all-out war” would result if the US took military action. Earlier, US Vice-President Mike Pence warned North Korea not to test the US.
He said his country’s “era of strategic patience” with North Korea was over. Mr Pence arrived in Seoul on Sunday hours after North Korea carried out a failed missile launch. peninsula, with heated rhetoric from both North Korea and the US. Mr Han told the BBC: “If the US is planning a military attack against us, we will react with a nuclear pre-emptive strike by our own style and method.” North Korea has accelerated its nuclear and missile tests in recent years, despite international condemnation and UN sanctions.
US President Donald Trump has said that will not happen, and stepped up pressure on the isolated North. Despite the tension, North Korea may carry out a sixth nuclear test soon, observers say. It test-×red a missile on Sunday that exploded within seconds of launch, following a grand military parade on Saturday. “Just in the past two weeks, the world witnessed the strength and resolve of our new president in actions taken in Syria and Afghanistan,” Mr Pence said. “North Korea would do well not to test his resolve or the strength of the armed forces of the United States in this region.” He reiterated US support for South Korea, telling his host: “We are with you 100%.” Last month, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson warned that pre-emptive military action was “on the table”.